It’s been one of the last missing essential feature for a while and I’ve finally started to implement it.
Conceiving a good system for easily describing quests and interacting in an efficient manner with the rest of the game is not such a trivial task. However, the event system used in pretty much everything in the game actually paid off by making this much easier than I thought.
The quest system is now on the works:
Quests are composed of a set of objectives that are completed when a set of conditions are met: they can be triggered by game events, or scripts, and will themselves be able to unlock other objectives, giving the player several choices to end the same quests.
The Pipbuck now also implements an app to check up on your quests and their current progression (though the progression checking is still a WIP).
On other news, I’ve also spent some time on tackling down a lot of issues, bugs and performance limitations in the engine. While reducing the amount of code: this thing is 40k lines long. It’s hard to factorize it without reducing the simplicity or elasticity of the design, so it’s always a good thing when I find some way to do it.
Well that’s all for this time.
I still have a lot of work to do before that, but I do hope I’ll be able to put a special treat in the next post.